Crestview Hills, Ky. - The Alma College softball team dropped a pair of one-run games on Sunday (March 18) as the Scots were swept by Thomas More College.
The Saints (4-6 overall) took both games by walk-off wins, scoring with two outs in the bottom of the seventh of Game 1 to win by a 2-1 margin before homering in the bottom of the seventh in Game 2 to walk off with a 5-4 victory.
The Scots (11-5) remain on the road, traveling to Bluffton University (OH) and Ohio Wesleyan University next weekend.
Game 1 - at Thomas More 2, Alma 1
- Alma took a 1-0 lead in the top of the first when junior McKenzie Creed (Edwardsburg, Mich./Edwardsburg) singled, scoring sophomore Cassidy Tucker (Coleman, Mich./Coleman). The Saints responded and tied the game in the bottom of the first when senior Katie McClure (Manchester, Mich./Manchester) walked home Alix DeDreu with the bases loaded.
- With two outs in the bottom of the seventh, Thomas More won the game on a RBI double by DeDreu, scoring Laura FInke, who singled and stole second with one out in the frame.
- McClure went the distance for the Scots, which were held to just four hits in the game. She also recorded eight strikeouts while walking only one batter.
Game 2 - at Thomas More 5, Alma 4
- The bats got going early as the Saints connected for three consecutive home runs in the bottom of the second to go up by a 3-0 margin.
- Alma chipped away at the lead in the top of the third, scoring twice to pull within one run. With two outs, Senior Mary Brooks (Portland, Mich./Portland) hit a RBI single to score Cassidy Tucker, while sophomore Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich./North Branch) scored Brooks with an RBI single of her own.
- The Scots tied the game at 3-3 in the top of the sixth on a RBI single by sophomore Madyson Piche (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich./Sault Area), only to see the Saints regain their one-run lead in the bottom half of the inning when Andrea Gahan scored from third base on a ground out.
- Alma knotted the score in the top of the seventh when Brooks hit a sacrifice fly to score Tucker, but Thomas More won the game with one out in the bottom half after Amanda Lloyd homered off of Brooks to complete the sweep.
- Tucker finished the game with a team-high three hits, while senior Riley Terwilliger (Mt. Pleasant, Mich./Sacred Heart) and Martin tallied two hits each. Brooks picked up the loss on the mound after pitching 3.1 innings. She relieved freshman Jazmine Hamm (Byron Center, Mich./Byron Center), who started the game and pitched the first three frames.
The Scots continue their road trip with a pair of doubleheaders next weekend at Bluffton University (OH) and Ohio Wesleyan University.