Olivet, Mich. - The Alma College softball team dropped a pair of games to the Olivet Comets on Friday (April 13) afternoon, 7-0 and 5-3 in eight innings. Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch) hit her second career home run and Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair) went 5-for-7 with three stolen bases and one run scored.
Alma is now 18-11 overall and 4-6 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Olivet is 15-9 and 2-4.
Olivet's Kinslea Blouin went 4-for-5 with two walks, three RBI and runs scored in the doubleheader.
How It Happened
Game One - at Olivet 7, Alma 0
- Blouin hit her sixth home run of the year in the first inning, a solo shot, to get the Comets on the board.
- Olivet had three-run innings in both the fourth and fifth.
Game Two - at Olivet 5, Alma 3 (8 innings.)
- Madyson Piche (Sault Saint Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) scored the game's first run on a single by Martin in the bottom of the second inning.
- Olivet scored two runs in the fourth and one more in the fifth to take a 3-1 lead.
- Piche singled home Schweiger in the fifth to get Alma to within one.
- Martin hit a home run to right center field in the sixth to tie the game.
- Olivet scored the eventual game-winning runs in the eighth inning on a double and a single.
- Kaylee Martin has two home runs in her last four games. She had zero prior to that.
- In the team's last six games, Martin is hitting .429 and slugging .867. She leads the team in slugging percentage, extra base hits, home runs and RBI over that time span.
- Mary Brooks (Portland, Mich. / Portland) went 2-for-3 in game one. She is currently third in the conference in home runs (seven) and seventh in slugging percentage (.720).
- Chelsea Schweiger went 4-for-4 with a run scored in game two.
Alma is scheduled to travel to Adrian to face the Bulldogs on Sunday, April 22 for a doubleheader beginning at 2:00 p.m.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director