Alma, Mich. - The Alma College softball team swept No. 14 Hope College on Wednesday (April 25), 4-1 and 11-7 in eight innings.
Mary Brooks (Portland, Mich. / Portland) hit her eighth home run of the season and Katie McClure (Manchester, Mich. / Manchester) earned both wins on the day. McClure allowed one run on six hits and six strikeouts in game one and gave up just one hit in four innings worth of relief in game two.
Alma is now 21-12 overall and 7-7 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Hope is 23-8 and 9-5.
Game 1 - at Alma 4, No. 14 Hope 1
- Hope opened the scoring in the first inning when Hayley Reitsma scored from first on a single from Sierra Mutschler.
- With two runners on, Brooks launched a deep shot to right field to give Alma a 3-1 lead.
- Alma picked up an insurance run in the sixth on a sacrifice fly by McClure.
Game 2 - Alma 11, at No. 14 Hope 7 (8 innings)
- Hope again got on the board first with two runs in the first inning. Sarah Jones singled home Reitsma and Mutschler scored when Jones stole second.
- Alma scored seven runs in the third inning, the big hit coming from Riley Terwilliger (Mount Pleasant, Mich. / Sacred Heart Academy) on a bases-clearing triple.
- Hope scored two runs in the fourth inning and three more in the fifth to tie the game. Mutschler hit her seventh home run of the year during the run.
- Alma scored four runs in the eighth inning to take the lead and eventually win. McKenzie Creed (Edwardsburg, Mich. / Edwardsburg) singled home Morgan Trout (Otisville, Mich. / Lakeville), Madyson Piche (Sault Saint Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) doubled home Creed and Chelsea Schweiger (St. Clair, Mich. / St. Clair), and Piche later scored on a single by Kaylee Martin (North Branch, Mich. / North Branch).
- Mary Brooks is fourth in the MIAA with eight home runs.
- Five players had at least two RBI for the Scots on the day.
- Riley Terwilliger went 3-for-8 with two triples.
- Katie McClure put up a 0.82 ERA and a.171 batting average against on the day.
Alma hosts Albion College on Friday (April 27) at 3:30 p.m. on Senior Day.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director