Written by Emily Jodway, Sports Information Student Assistant
Alma, Mich. - The Alma College swim and dive team hosted Olivet College on Saturday (January 19) for a dual meet at McClure Natatorium. The Scots defeated the Comets by a combined score of 228-179; the women came in first with 151 points, though the men took second with 77 points to Olivet's 116. This was the Alma swim program's first combined conference victory since January 10, 2015.
How It Happened
- The Scots took first place in a total of 13 events today, ten individual races and three of the four total relay events. Two swimmers each took home a pair of wins from the meet- senior Eric Ferrara (Livonia, Mich. / Stevenson) and junior Sydney Louis-Ferdinand (Southfield, Mich. / Birmingham Groves).
- Louis-Ferdinand started the Scots out strong, winning the first individual race of the night, the women's 1000-yard freestyle (12:06.00). She went on to take first place in the 500 freestyle as well (5:51.19).
- Following Louis-Ferdinand's win in the women's 500, Ferrara took first in the men's 500 freestyle, hitting the wall at 5:01.66. He also won the 200-yard individual medley race for the men, with a time of 2:05.19.
- Senior Kate Lehman (Haslett, Mich. / Haslett) also took home an individual medley win, completing the 200-yard race for the women in 2:21.73.
- In a race dominated by the Scots, Jennifer Ostrowski (Northville, Mich. / Northville) won the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:11.98.
- Freshman Claire Tembreull (Gladstone, Mich. / Gladstone Area) came in first in the women's 200 freestyle (2:10.04), with Allison Brown (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake) in a close second (2:11.16).
- The women's relay team of Brown, Lehman, Ostrowski, and Kathleen Christnagel (Grosse Ile, Mich. / Grosse Ile) won the 200-yard medley race. Likewise, Louis-Ferdinand, Tembreull, Paige Thompson (Sister Bay, Wisc. / Gibraltar), and Sarah Gaines (Colorado Springs, Colo. / Liberty) won the 400 freestyle relay (3:59.26).
- Ferrara, Max Carey (Highland, Mich. / International Academy West), Will Brown (Spring Lake, Mich. / Spring Lake), and Leevi Olson (Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. / Sault Area) led the men to a victory in the 200 medley relay race.
They Said It
"We had a really great meet. We had some freshmen step up and score points for the team. Jennifer, Claire and Matthew Thomas (Griffith, Ind. / Griffith Senior) did a fantastic great job today and competed really well. I was happy to get the combined victory for the men and women. That's a huge step in the right direction for the program."
- Head Coach Jason Lintjer
The Scots host Kalamazoo College next Saturday (January 26) on Senior Day for their last home contest of the season. The dual meet will begin at 1 p.m. in McClure Natatorium.