Kenosha, Wisc. - The Alma College volleyball team went 1-1 on the final day of the Carthage College Tournament on Saturday (Sept. 16) after defeating St. Norbert College 3-1 and falling to Carthage College 3-1. After the day's matches, the Scots are 4-6 on the year while St. Norbert is 3-10 and Carthage is 7-2. Following the day's matches, Katie Bush (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell) was named to the All-Tournament Team. She posted 25 kills in the tournament's three matches to go along with a hit percentage of .378.
- In the first set of the first match, Alma was in complete control and won it 25-9. Dakota Pelach (Gaylord, Mich. / Gaylord) posted six of her game-high 14 kills in the first set. The Scots hit a game-high .371 percent in the first set. Alma went on runs of 8-0 and 10-3 in the set.
- Alma took a 2-0 in the match lead after winning the second set 27-25. The biggest lead by either team in the set was five, which Alma held twice at 16-11 and 23-18. The Scots went on two separate 5-0 runs in the set, both times giving them the lead.
- The Scots dropped the third set 25-17 due to multiple runs by the Green Knights. Alma rebounded in the fourth set, taking it 25-22, though it was tightly contested. Tied at 17, a 6-1 run gave the Scots a 23-18 lead. St. Norbert four of the final six points, but it was not enough to prevent an Alma win.
- In the second match of the day, Alma won the first set 25-22. The Scots allowed an 8-1 run to Carthage in the middle of the set but bounced back immediately after with their own 7-1 run. The Scots closed the set scoring five of the final eight points.
- The second set saw eight ties, all within the first eight points. Carthage went on a 6-1 run to take control of the set at 13-9 and maintained as much as a five point lead until scoring the last three points of the set, winning it 25-19.
- The third set saw Carthage jump out to a 6-1 lead and never looking back. Another 6-1 run gave the Lady Reds complete control of the set on their way to a 25-18 win.
- The fourth set was similar to the third. Carthage got out to a 7-2 lead and, though Alma cut the deficit to as little as one at 17-16, Carthage scored the next three points en route to a 25-21 win.
- Pelach not only led all players in kills in the match against St. Norbert, but also posted a new season-high. In addition, she posted her two best hit percentages in Saturday's matches.
- Haley Novak (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) led all players in the St. Norbert match with a career-high 29 assists. She added 20 more against Carthage.
- Miranda Shafer (Norton Shores, Mich. / Western Michigan Christian/St. Clair County CC) set her first-career high in assists of 20 against St. Norbert, then broke it against Carthage with 23.
- Kara Muxlow (Brown City, Mich. / Brown City) and Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott Country) tied for the team lead with 11 kills against Carthage. Bush was one kill behind both of them, but she posted the match's best hit percentage of anyone who had over 10 attacks at .429.
- Miller also led the team in digs and was two behind the leader of the match.
The Scots' next match is Tuesday, Sept. 19. They will travel to Hope to face the Flying Dutch at 6:30 p.m.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director, (989) 463-7436