Alma, Mich. - The Alma College volleyball team fell 3-1 (19-25, 19-25, 25-23, 16-25) to Hope College on Friday evening.
Alma is now 6-14 overall and 3-9 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association while Hope improves to 16-9 and 10-3.
- Hope started the game with a 10-3 lead in the first set but Alma runs of 4-0 and 7-2 tied the game at 16. The Flying Dutch would end the set on a 9-3 run to take a 1-0 lead in the game. Kara Muxlow (Brown City, Mich. / Brown City) and Dakota Pelach (Gaylord, Mich. / Gaylord) led Alma with three kills each in the set.
- The second set saw seven ties before Hope pulled away toward the middle of the set. A 6-1 run gave the Flying Dutch control and despite Alma's attempt at a comeback, the two teams traded the set's final eight points giving Hope a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The Scots took the third set thanks, in part, to a 10-3 run that took them from down 14-12 to up 22-17. Hope would score six of the next seven points but a kill from Muxlow and an error by the Flying Dutch gave Alma the third set. Pelach had seven kills in the set, the most of any player in any set, and hit .333. Mason also had a set-high nine digs.
- The fourth set saw five ties in the first 12 points. Hope would pull away with an 8-3 run, giving it a 16-10 lead. Alma scored five points out of the next seven to cut the deficit to 19-16 but the Flying Dutch ended the set and the match with six straight points.
- Pelach led the team with 12 kills. It is the sixth time she has led the team in kills this season.
- Georgia Miller (Georgetown, Ky. / Scott Country), the team leader in digs, had 19. She has 299 this season, eighth most in the MIAA.
- Pelach added two service aces, breaking a tie between her and Miller and giving her the team lead.
Alma begins a three-game road stand with a trip to Albion on Saturday, Oct. 21. The Scots lost a five-set match to the Britons earlier this season.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director, (989) 463-7436