Albion, Mich. - The Alma College volleyball team defeated Albion College 3-0 (25-21, 25-23, 25-21) on Saturday evening.
Kara Muxlow (Brown City, Mich. / Brown City) led Alma in kills with 10. Dakota Pelach (Gaylord, Mich. / Gaylord) and Haley Novak (Midland, Mich. / Bullock Creek) shared a team-high 17 assists and Brooke Mason (Marshall, Mich. / Marshall) had a game-high 17 digs.
With the win, Alma improves to 7-14 overall and 4-9 in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association while Albion falls to 14-11 and 6-5.
- Alma began the first set on a 12-5 run and maintained its lead through the 25-21 victory. Brianna Zimmer (Mt. Pleasant, Mich. / Mt. Pleasant) had six kills in the set, tied for the most by any player in any set.
- The Scots led for the majority of the second set until Albion went on a 5-1 run to take a 23-22 lead. Alma scored the final three points of the set, including a kill by Zimmer and a block assist from Zimmer and Pelach, to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- In the third set, Alma was down 16-13 before going on a 6-1 run to take a 19-17 lead. Zimmer served three straight aces during that run. The Scots would not give up the lead for the rest of the set, winning the game on a kill from Zimmer. Muxlow had five kills and no errors in eight attacks in the set. Alma hit .391 as a team in the set.
- Muxlow is now tied for second on the team in kills with Katie Bush (Lowell, Mich. / Lowell). Muxlow also has the second-highest hit percentage (behind Bush) among players with at least 100 attacks.
- Novak posted a new career-high hit percentage of .556.
- Pelach and Novak are 10th and 12, respectively, in the MIAA in assists. Pelach has 282 while Novak has 270.
Alma travels to Trine to face the Thunder on Tuesday, Oct. 24 at 6:30 p.m.
Contact: Zach Russo, Assistant Sports Information Director, (989) 463-7436